Introduction

This blog contains regular postings relating to the Traditional Latin Liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church. It includes regular commentary on the saints days and the liturgical cycle, with brief background and extracts from the liturgy both in Latin and English. Much of the material has been extracted from the 'St Andrew's Daily Missal', Dom Gueranger's 'Liturgical Year', or similar sources.

Related website: http://www.liturgialatina.org/





Monday 30 June 2014

30th June. Commemoration of St Paul, Apostle

Commemoration of St. Paul, Apostle

"The Tiber on entering Rome," writes an ancient poet, "salutes the Basilica of St. Peter and, on leaving it, that of St. Paul. The heavenly door-keeper has built his sacred abode at the gates of the eternal city wich is an image of heaven. On the opposite side, the ramparts of the city are protected by Paul's portico: Rome is between the two." With Peter, the new Moses, leader of the new Israel, is associated Paul, the new Aaron, more eloquent than the first, chosen in his mother's womb to announce to the Gentiles the riches of the grace of Christ (Collect, Gradual, Epistle).

Scio cui credidi, et certus sum, quia potens est depositum meum servare in illum diem, justus judex. * Domine, probasti me, et cognovisti me: tu cognovisti sessionem meam et resurrectionem meam.
I know whom I have believed, and I am certain that He is able to keep that which I have committed to Him against that day; being a just judge. * Lord, Thou hast proved me and known me: Thou hast known my sitting down, and my rising up.
(2 Tim. 1:12 and Psalm 138:1-2 from the Introit of Mass)

Deus, qui multitudinem gentium beati Pauli Apostoli praedicatione docuisti: da nobis, quaesumus; ut, cujus natalitia colimus, ejus apud te patrocinia sentiamus.
O God, who didst teach the multitude of the Gentiles by the preaching of blessed Paul the apostle; grant, we beseech Thee, that we who celebrate his heavenly birthday, may also enjoy his patronage with Thee. (Collect)

Lesson from the Epistle of blessed Paul the Apostle to the Galatians.
Brethren, I give you to understand that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For neither did I receive it of man, nor did I learn it; but by the revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion: how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it; and I made progress in the Jews' religion above many of my equals in my own nation, being more abundantly zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when it pleased Him, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, immediately I condescended not to flesh and blood. Neither went I to Jerusalem to the apostles who were before me: but I went into Arabia, and again I returned to Damascus. Then, after three years, I went to Jerusalem to. see Peter, and I tarried with him fifteen days; but other of the apostles I saw none, saving James the brother of the Lord. Now the things which I write to you, behold before God I lie not.
(Galatians 1:11-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment