Introduction

This blog contains regular postings relating to the Traditional Latin Liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church. It includes regular commentary on the saints days and the liturgical cycle, with brief background and extracts from the liturgy both in Latin and English. Much of the material has been extracted from the 'St Andrew's Daily Missal', Dom Gueranger's 'Liturgical Year', or similar sources.

Related website: http://www.liturgialatina.org/





Monday 17 October 2016

17th October, St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, Virgin

St. Margaret Mary Alacoque, Virgin


Margaret Mary Alacoque was born at Verosvres in the diocese of Autun in 1647. While still young she consecrated herself to Jesus Christ by a vow of perpetual virginity. At the age of twenty-three she entered the convent of the Visitation Order at Paray-le-Monial. The mysteries of the Sacred Heart were revealed to her in three special manifestations, all unknown to her community.


St. Margaret Mary spent the last years of her life in spreading this devotion. She died on 17th October 1690, at the age of forty-three years. Her body was built under a slab close to the grille in the nun's chapel on the spot where she was kneeling when our Lord appeared to her.


She was beatified by Pope Pius IX in 1864, and canonized by Benedict XV on the feast of the Ascension 1920. Pope Pius XI extended her feast to the whole church on June 28th 1929.

In order to live in the spirit of the Liturgy (which is also the spirit of the Church), and consecrate the first Friday of the month to the Sacred Heart (as the Church does by granting indulgences), let us adapt this devotion to the different feasts of the cycle. It will thus give a greater variety both in its material object (the Heart of Jesus born at Christmas, dying of Good Friday, rising again at Easter), and in its formal object, the love of Jesus in His joyful, sorrowful and glorious mysteries.


Sub umbra illius, quem desideraveram, sedi; et fructus ejus dulcis gutturi meo. Quam dilecta tabernacula tua, Domine virtutum! concupiscit et deficit anima mea in atria Domini.
I sat down under his shadow whom I desired: and his fruit was sweet to my palate. How lovely are Thy tabernacles, O Lord of hosts! my soul longeth and fainteth for the courts of the Lord.
(Canticle of Canticles 2:3 and Psalm 83:2-3, from the Introit of Mass)


Domine Iesu Christe, qui investigabiles divitias Cordis tui beatae Margaritae Mariae Virgini mirabiliter revelasti: da nobis eius meritis et imitatione; ut, te in omnibus et super omnia diligentes, iugem in eodem Corde tuo mansionem habere mereamur.
O Lord Jesus Christ, who didst in a wondrous manner reveal to the blessed Virgin Margaret the unsearchable riches of Thy heart; grant us through her merits and example, that we may love Thee in all things and above all things, and become worthy to dwell within Thy heart for evermore.
(Collect)



Aquae multae non potuerunt extinguere caritatem, nec flumina obruent illam. * Deficit caro mea et cor meum: Deus cordis mei, et pars mea Deus in aeternum.
Many waters cannot quench charity, neither can the floods drown it. My flesh and my heart have fainted away: thou art the God of my heart, and the God that is my portion forever.
(Canticle of Canticles 8:7 and Psalm 72, from the Gradual).



From the Catholic Encyclopaedia: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09653a.htm




The 12 Promises of Our Lord for Souls Devoted to His Sacred Heart as told to St. Margaret Mary



1. I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
2. I will establish peace in their houses.
3. I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
4. I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all in death.
5. I will bestow a large blessing upon all of their undertakings.
6. Sinners shall find in My Heart the source and the infinite ocean of mercy.
7. Tepid souls shall grow fervent.
8. Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
9. I will bless every place where a picture of My Heart shall be set up and honoured.
10. I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened of hearts.
11. Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names written in My Heart, never to be blotted out.
12. I promise thee in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday of nine consecutive months the grace of final penitence; they shall not die in My disgrace nor without receiving their Sacraments; My Divine Heart shall be their sole refuge in this last moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment