Introduction

This blog contains regular postings relating to the Traditional Latin Liturgy of the Roman Catholic Church. It includes regular commentary on the saints days and the liturgical cycle, with brief background and extracts from the liturgy both in Latin and English. Much of the material has been extracted from the 'St Andrew's Daily Missal', Dom Gueranger's 'Liturgical Year', or similar sources.

Related website: http://www.liturgialatina.org/





Friday 22 May 2015

Friday after the Octave of the Ascension

Friday after the Octave of the Ascension

As Sunday governs the whole week, to-day is celebrated the Mass of the previous Sunday, with the Collects  and the Preface of the Ascension. But neither the Creed nor the proper Communicantes is said.

This Mass tells of the virtue of charity, for the Holy Ghost whom Christ is about to send us is a Spirit of love. As Spirit of charity He dispenses His gifts for the benefit of all (Epistle); as Spirit of truth He makes us understand the teaching of Jesus.

The Holy Ghost will also console us in the midst of our tribulation (Gospel), and "will keep us from evil" (Communion).

Exaudi, Domine, vocem meam, qua clamavi ad te, alleluia: tibi dixit cor meum, quaesivi vultum tuum, vultum tuum, Domine, requiram: ne avertas faciem tuam a me, alleluia, alleluia. * Dominus illuminatio mea, et salus mea: quem timebo?
Hear, O Lord, my voice with which I have cried to Thee, alleluia; my heart hath said to Thee, I have sought Thy face, Thy face, O Lord, I will seek: turn not away Thy face from me, alleluia, alleluia. * The Lord is my light and my salvation: whom shall I fear?
(Psalm 26:7,8,9,1 from the Introit of Mass)


Omnipotens sempiterne Deus: fac nos tibi semper et devotam gerere voluntatem: et majestati tuae sincero corde servire.
O almighty and eternal God, grant us ever to have a will devoted to Thee, and with a sincere heart to serve Thy majesty.
(Collect)

No comments:

Post a Comment